Thursday, March 7, 2013

Even if change is for the better, does 1n2d need it at this point?

Frankly speaking, I had not expected this to be coming...well, at least not so soon. It's only been a year since the last revamp, or should I say shakeup?

1n2d was the very first Korean variety show I watched and how I happened to come across it was very random or should I say, somewhat dramatic? I remember that I was channel-surfing on a Friday night and suddenly found myself on KBS World. Even though the programme had already started by the time I got to it, I still enjoyed watching guys who I didn't know at all playing games which seemed a bit silly. Then I found myself watching it for another week, and another week... Before I knew it, I was hooked, in a major way just like how you find yourself in love with someone before you realise that the person has been growing on you? Even when I was overseas for work and had to miss the programme for two weeks, I made sure that I got my family members to help me record the show. I watched this faithfully week after week since I started in 2009 but it was difficult to find the older episodes even though I tried too. Even when the revamp took place last year, I was determined to continue watching this despite the first few episodes suffering from fluctuations in quality.

Anyway, I was planning to write a proper post on my "love affair" with 1n2d but since this news came in rather out of the blue, I thought that I should write something now. 1n2d has been through a couple of rough patches in recent years with members leaving either voluntarily or against their own will due to unfortunate incidents, changes in the production crew and the competition catching up to them in the Sunday ratings race. I admit, there were some episodes which I found to be lacking. The charm of 1n2d is the interaction between the members and the crew. To me, the travelogue aspect is important too because it introduces the nice sights in South Korea to someone like me who's not located there. However, there were times when the focus was more on the sights rather than the 7 brothers having fun. I certainly didn't enjoy watching them walk around and do nothing except to gasp in awe at the things they saw so I think that could be a possible reason why things aren't picking up in the ratings department. I don't track ratings at all for Korean programmes but the competition with Running Man is heating up so much that 1n2d can't afford to be complacent.

However, as fate would have it, the changes did take its toll on the programme in one way or another. I have to admit, there are some changes which I think did the programme some good and some were not so desirable effects but whenever there's change, it takes time to regain that momentum. I am a regular viewer of Running Man too (more about my affair with them another day) and to be honest, I can't say that every single episode was interesting. Nonetheless, Running Man benefited from stability in a sense and that helped the cast to build up their team spirit over the span of more than 2 years. When they first started, things were kinda awkward too. To put it frankly, 1n2d may not necessarily be worse than its prime years, it's just that comparatively, the competition is shaping up nicely to give it a run for its money.

If Bird PD leaves and some new crew members join, it may give rise to new sparks so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just that he took a bit of time to get used to working with the members and when things were finally looking comfortable, he's planning to leave due to health conditions? What a pity though but hope that he'll be healthy and well to do the things he wants to. Cast changes are something which I don't really look forward to so it will depend on how KBS is going to make this more palatable to the viewers. I seriously do not want any of the 7 brothers to go and if someone has to leave, the reason has got to be convincing.

No comments:

Post a Comment