Sunday, November 3, 2013

Comfort food at a premium - Tonkichi (Tampines Mall)

Whenever I crave for tonkatsu, I usually go to Tonkichi to satisfy my desire. It's not to say that other places can't serve up decent versions of this because there are many other Japanese eating places which I've never tried before. It's just that among those which I've been to, I still prefer Tonkichi's version.

The common grouse which I have with tonkatsu is that the batter is too thick, the meat tastes too dry due to overcooking and loss of moisture in the meat or the aftertaste is too oily. Tonkichi never fails to serve up a good dish of tonkatsu and my favourite is the Kurobuta which contains lots of meat juices and doesn't taste dry at all. Paired with the thinly-sliced and crunchy cabbage, the savoury sauce and light but still flavourful miso soup, the kurobuta set always gives me lots of satisfaction. However, there is a stronger smell of pork compared to the usual types of pork used in tonkatsu so for people who may not like the meaty smell, perhaps the other types of pork offered by Tonkichi might suit you better. In addition, some of the dishes here tend to be a bit pricier compared to other places so you may not want to choose the kurobuta version if budget is a concern here.

I also tried two dishes which I've not tasted before, the first being the potato croquette. Surprisingly, it was larger than I expected since most places have this at usually half the size of what Tonkichi served up.. The crust tasted somewhat similar to the tonkatsu's version which was a bit unusual among the different types of croquette I've tasted. Since the crust is very thin and relatively oil-free, the filling is quite substantial as seen from the photo. What I liked about the filling was that there were some bits of potato which I could taste rather than a paste-like mashed potato filling. The uneven texture made a simple dish like this a bit different from the norm so I was pleasantly surprised by this offering which turned out to be better than expected.

As for the kushiyaki, I ordered the tsukune and momo with leek. The tsukune looked slightly bigger than usual so two sticks of this was rather filling. I assumed that the tsukune might taste a bit dry and tough but it defied my expectations and turned out to be moist and had absorbed the sauce fully. However, the same cannot be said for the momo which I would have expected the texture to be smoother than breast meat but turned out to be quite tasteless. It could be that the momo was not so well-marinated or the nature of the cut made it more difficult to absorb the sauce as compared to the tsukune. On the other hand, the leek seemed to be slightly overcooked as it had lost its crunchiness which I felt was a pity.

For a place like Tonkichi which is known for its specialty in tonkatsu dishes, I tend to be a bit more wary about ordering dishes outside their niche area since it can be a mix of hits and misses. This is exactly how I felt this time because the croquette and tsukune impressed me but the momo was kinda disappointing. Then again, I can't expect it to be good at everything so I'll be content to head there for my comfort food once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment